Work hands-on in the rehabilitation of many wildlife species including small mammals, birds, raptors, and raccoons.
Interns will work on capture and restraint methods to assist the public when encountering injured wildlife safely so as to not cause any further injury to the animal.
Community service to help the public is a significant component of Puget Sound Wildcare's mission. Part of this internship is assisting the public with their encounters with wildlife. This might include techniques on how to capture the animal for transport to a center without injury to the public or animal. Many rehabilitation centers are not available to accept the animal or are closed.
The animal issues are endless of what we do. We teach people to appreciate wildlife and help them do what is needed to not harm the wildlife that is found.
Included in this internship is helping to keep a database of calls to use in data analysis.
Additionally, you would assist in developing and producing with local professionals, PSA’s (public service announcements) to teach the public about the local wildlife that may or may not need their help. Interns get author credit for their work on PSA’s.
We offer intermittent field trips for the public (which will open more as we get COVID-19 behind us) and interns can work with naturalists on these events.
We work with people who need us and want to support us to help develop stable sources of funding to enable us to grow.
This work is hands-on and not remote.
Number of positions available:
College student or new graduate with a interest in urban and suburban wildlife species with skills in basic statistical analysis using Excel. Must be able to work with the public in a guidance role. Training on specifics is provided.
- Possess creativity, flexibility, variety, and growth potential
- Should be open-minded, a fast learner, enthusiastic, and adaptable
- Requires self-confidence and ability to interact on a professional level
- Interests in wildlife protection and assisting people with their wildlife issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work diligently and complete tasks on time
- Ability to work in small teams
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Pursuing or possessing a Bachelor’s Degree
- Previous experience with data management and entry
- Previous experience with Excel
If you are interested in applying please email your resume and a letter of intent to email@example.com